"To the Talbot Boys"
Easton, Talbot County, Maryland
This dedication is carved on the front of the monument, which stands on the Talbot County courthouse green in Easton. The sheet copper statue depicts a Confederate color-bearer. At the Battle of Gettysburg the Union's First Eastern Shore Regiment included men of Trappe's Company H, who were sent to Culp's Hill on July 3, 1863. There they fought troops of the First Maryland Confederate Regiment, which also included men from the Trappe area. The color sergeants for each side were cousins, both from Trappe: Robert W. Ross for the Union and P. M. Moore, wounded and captured during the battle, for the Confederates. The monument, dedicated in May 1916, was first treated by the Commission in 1994.