Confederate Monument after Conservation
The Confederate Monument in Rockville stands on the east side of the Red Brick Courthouse. The life-sized bronze cavalry private stands on a light gray granite pedestal, facing south toward Jefferson Street.
The monument, dedicated on June 3, 1913, is significant for its commemoration of the people of Montgomery County who served in the Confederacy. It was sponsored by the E. V. White and Ridgely Brown chapters of the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the Ridgely Brown Camp of the United Confederate Veterans. The Falvey Granite Company of Washington, DC, built the statue at a cost of $3,600. It is a customized example of the common soldier memorial, a type first used after the Civil War and popular through the First World War.