Frederick County, Maryland
The Braddock Monument stands along Alternate US 40 on Braddock Mountain in Frederick County. The bronze relief tablet by sculptor Edward Berge is mounted on a large boulder taken from the mountain. The monument was dedicated on June 14, 1924 by the Daughters of the American Revolution as part of their effort to mark the old trails west. The tablet depicts British General Edward Braddock and his aide, Lieutenant Colonel George Washington, as they stopped to drink from a spring along the road to Fort Duquesne in 1755 during the French and Indian War. The monument was originally located near the spring, but was moved in 1959 by the State Roads Commission when the road was widened. The Monuments Commission sponsored conservation treatment in 1994. The bronze was washed and given a protective coating of wax to prevent corrosion.